How the Corona Virus is Affecting Students of Paulding

Ashlynn C., Lead Yearbook Editor

Many students at Paulding Middle School are knee deep into pointless arguments with their siblings and parents about things like screen time, or a spot on the couch. Our world is fighting a challenge that nobody has ever experienced before. Schools are shut down, online classes are enforced, stores are closed and a large chunk of the population is secluded inside of their homes. Students now spend hours at a time staring at chromebooks and texting their friends for the answers on the math quiz. Everyone is wondering the same thing “Is this our new normal?” For the time being, it is. All of this chaos is because of the Coronavirus pandemic.

The Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) was founded in Wuhan, China in December of 2019. This illness starts off with the same types of symptoms like the flu. These symptoms include a cough, fever, and in more severe cases, difficulty breathing. 

But the question is, how does this affect us as students?

Recently, I have had the pleasure of digitally interviewing some of my fellow 8th grade students on their thoughts about school closure and how it has been affecting them. You would be surprised to see how alike their responses are. But as always, there are multiple sides to the story. During the interviews, we covered the topics of quarantine, online schooling, and the highs and lows of not going to a regular school.

How Self-Quarantine Has Changed Our Lives

As of the middle of March, people across the globe have been under quarantine in their own homes. We can all agree that being in quarantine is a definite plus for our health and safety. So I asked them, What is your opinion on quarantine and how has it changed your lifestyle? “I think quarantine is good! Whatever we can do to make less people get hurt is a positive, but it has been hard. I’m always bored and since I’m bored, I overthink. And that isn’t fun. I go on a lot more walks now and I think that it has made me go outside more often, though,” said Ayla G.

But not everyone feels the same way, some students have a more negative outlook on the current situation. 

Torsten J. claims “I really hate it because I can’t go and see any of my friends, I can’t eat out, and I can’t really go anywhere. It’s very boring.” And Nicky Y. states that “It is definitely stressful and there is not much to do, and for how long it is going to be, it will be really boring. It is affecting my lifestyle because I can’t do the things I’m used to doing and it’s different.”

The Hardest and Easiest Parts About Not Going to School

When we first heard that school was going to be cancelled, many students thought Yes! No school! But it has become clear that that thought is no longer apparent. Of course, now there isn’t the agony of waking up early to get ready in the morning, which our parents appreciate as well. On the other hand, we barely get to see our beloved teachers and friends anymore.

“The easiest part of studying from home is that you can sleep late, stay home, and spend more time with your family. And the hardest parts are missing your friends at school, which was like a better study habit than when you study from home,” said David H.

Genesis M. said that “My bedtime schedule is bad now,” which I believe is very relatable. Many teens our age probably stay up late watching our favorite T.V. shows or playing board games with their families until late hours of the night, which causes us to wake up later in the morning. 

“The hardest parts are not being able to see my friends and hangout or talk to them and the easiest is that I can sleep in and not worry about what to wear to school. And I also don’t have any drama,” says Hailey B. 

Do Students Really Like Online Classes?

Worldwide, students of all ages are getting their education through the internet. We have been using apps like Google Classroom, Zoom, and Clever in order to complete our assignments we would’ve been doing if school was still in session. During the interviews I asked some students how they felt about online school, and it was interesting to discover their responses. 

For some students they really like this new way of learning, “Online school is going pretty good so far. Most directions are clear and we can still communicate with our teachers, which is cool. However, personally, I feel too much schoolwork is being handed out, but we have to learn it some way,” states student Fiona F. 

Meanwhile, other students have had a different experience, Rin L. says “I do like it, but my internal clock is messed up from not going to school, and I’m a physical learner so it’s hard to grasp topics the way I used to. It’s difficult.” Of course, there are also some students that fall in the middle of this controversy, “Yes and no, I like that it only takes a few hours, but some of the assignments are hard,” Gabby G. stated.

During an online poll, I asked 50 students from Paulding, Mesa, Judkins and AGHS if they liked online school or not. According to the data, just over a quarter of the percentage said yes.

For our lovely teachers and staff, students were able to give their ideas on how we can improve the online education system. Nate A. says that he wishes “They could improve more face to face work.” Some other responses are that they would like the directions to be easier, and are requesting once weekly video chats for every class. 

Obviously, school closure is affecting students in both good and bad ways. There is a learning curve for all of us, with this new normal.  As long as we continue to communicate clearly and honestly, we will come through on the other side. I hope that everyone washes their hands and stays safe and healthy in this time of crisis. So remember, we’re #INThisTogether