Not All Heroes Wear Capes: The Story of How One Little Boy’s Kindness Changed the Lives of Many

Zoe Coddington, Staff

Life can be hard. Sometimes it can feel like the whole world is against you. This is why kindness is important because when you’re having a bad day, even the smallest acts of kindness can make a huge difference. An eight-year-old boy named Keoni Ching who lived in Vancouver knew this. Keoni got inspired by the San Francisco 49er Richard Sherman, who donated $27,000 to cover student’s lunch debt. The young boy knew that a lot of families in his district suffered from lunch debt so he started a project called “kindness week” at his school to raise money to pay off student’s lunch debt. Keoni started making keychains to sell and with the help of his family he made and sold over 300 of them. The word quickly spread and he started getting requests for keychains from all over the U.S. After his project was over, Keoni was able to deliver a $4,015 check to his school. This money was not only enough to pay off his school’s lunch debt, but it also paid off debt for six other schools in his district. Keoni Ching’s heartwarming story was shared all over the internet and everyone was amazed by this kid’s pure heart. Comments on this story include: “We need more humans like this!” and “This shows how heroes come in all sizes!”. Keoni’s act of kindness not only helped many families with their debt but it also brought joy to everyone who read it. It is important to recognize this act of kindness so lots more can happen. We need to encourage all kindness so we can make the world a better place.